ECU School of Dental Medicine

ECU School of Dental Medicine

Consistent with the Mission Statement of East Carolina University, the School of Dental Medicine was established to specifically address the shortage of dentists in rural regions of North Carolina. Accordingly, admission to the Dental Program is limited to individuals who are residents of the State of North Carolina.  The first class of 52 students entered the dental school in August of 2011.  As a new institution, the School of Dental Medicine has completed the requirements for initial accreditation by the Commission on Dental Accreditation.

Ross Hall, a 188,000-square-foot four-story building located near the ECU Health Sciences Building on West Fifth Street, houses the School and opened Fall of 2012.  The building is named in honor of benefactor Dr. Ledyard Ross, a retired Greenville orthodontist.  Ross Hall includes 133 operatories, large “smart classroom” learning halls, teleconference rooms, simulation laboratories, and administrative offices.  Specialty clinics include pediatric dentistry, orthodontics, special needs, clinical research, and advanced care.

The school is largely computer- and simulation-based.  Outside Greenville, ten community service learning centers are being planned across the state.  At those centers, faculty members, dental residents and fourth-year dental students will provide care.  The first community service learning centers have opened in Ahoskie (June 2012), Elizabeth City (April 2013), and Lillington (March 2014).  Centers in Sylva, Spruce Pine, Davidson County, and Lumberton are under construction and are expected to open before the end of 2014.

For more information:

Dr. Gregory Chadwick, Dean
School of Dental Medicine
Ledyard E. Ross Hall
1851 MacGregor Downs Road
Greenville, NC  27834
(252) 737-7000
www.ecu.edu/sodm