Cultural Activities – Key Factor Summary
- Local Arts Councils, along with East Carolina University, present hundreds of events throughout the year.
- Events include chamber groups, major symphonies, touring Broadway shows, opera, and ballet.
- University academic departments offer a number of highly specialized visual and performing arts opportunities.
- Opportunities for personal involvement are available through community bands, orchestras, theatre, dance and vocal groups, and writers and artists guilds.
- Nine museums/galleries are located in Pitt County as well as several private art galleries.
- A number of nationally known poets and artists reside in the area.
- Pitt County and East Carolina University provide extensive library systems both in terms of number of volumes for specialized research and programs for children and adults.
- The ECU library system offers a Health Sciences Library, Music Library, Manuscripts Collection, Rare Books Collection, and a number of other specialized components.
The cultural climate of Pitt County is unsurpassed in Eastern North Carolina, providing the proper environment to nurture the artist as well as to satisfy the desires of the art lover. Everything from old fashioned cloggers to ballet, from jazz ensembles to symphony orchestras, and side walk art shows to fine art exhibits are available throughout the year. The abundance of cultural events is largely attributable to the activities and presence of the College of Fine Arts and Communication at East Carolina University.